IMMUNE BOOSTERS – AND BUSTERS
How often do you think about the health your immune system?
Do you catch a cold before topping up on vitamin C or popping an Echinacea capsule or two? Knowing how diet and lifestyle habits affect your immunity is a vital part of protecting your overall health – and avoiding seasonal colds and flu.
Pathogens are everywhere
You can’t avoid them. They’re in the air, on the things you touch and in your food and water. They’re lurking on your skin, hair , under your nails and inside your body. Every day you inhale and swallow thousands of bacteria and viruses. Fortunately, your immune system is there to protect you - but if it’s not functioning properly you get ill.
Protection against cancer
A strong immune system guards you from the outside world but also detects and clears away cells that are behaving abnormally – like cancerous cells. So it’s vital to support and enhance your immune system, not only to reduce your susceptibility to seasonal bugs, but also to increase your resistance to other diseases, including cancer.
Your immune system does a great job – most of the time.
But sometimes it falters and you get sick. It typically happens during the change of seasons (especially the arrival of autumn and spring) or periods of intense activity, stress and fatigue. Even among healthy people, there are those who are less susceptible or ‘never sick’ and others who seem to automatically ‘catch whatever is going around”.
5 common causes of weakened immunity
- Lack of exercise – muscle mass influences your immunity because muscle proteins provide the raw materials needed to produce lymphocytes and natural killer cells. Exercise also improves the circulation of oxygen to tissues - cancer cells hate oxygen.
- Low levels of vitamin D – Many people are woefully low in this vital nutrient, needed to turn inactive T cells into natural killer cells that actively seek out and destroy pathogens.
- Thyroid issues. Many people have undiagnosed thyroid issues - often reflected in symptoms such as an inability to lose weight, constant fatigue and poor mood.
- Negative Lifestyle Factors – lack of sleep, the abuse of tobacco, drugs and alcohol. Certain medications.
- Poor eating habits – lack of variety, over-indulgence in sugary foods, lack of fibre, food additives and nutritional deficiencies.
- Chronic stress – even low-level stress produces hormones that break down body tissue and tax the immune system.
- Psychological and emotional state – depression and anxiety considerably weaken the immune system.
And 5 simple ways to strengthen your natural defenses.
- Garlic – contains the super antioxidant allicin - a powerful immune booster and potent antibiotic, which fights infection and bacteria. A garlic-rich diet appears to protect us from various cancers.
- Turmeric – anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal – perfect when colds or the flu strike. Turmeric also has potent anti-inflammatory properties and helps destroy cancer cells.
- Lemon – high in vitamin C and bioflavonoids which are great for destroying harmful free radicals and fighting colds and infection.
- Wild mushrooms – naturally exposed to sunlight, they generate vitamin D and are also an excellent source of selenium – a super antioxidant that further protects against cancer.
- Green tea – contains potent plant antioxidants called catechins, which help fight off viruses, bacteria and even abnormal cells.
And lastly – think positive!
While your food makes your body, your thoughts make your mind and there is no question that your state of mind has a profound effect on your immunity. People who cultivate distressing, negative thoughts are more prone to illness. Research has proved that changes occur in your immune cell activity depending on your state of mine. Relax, take a deep breath and smile!
Want to know more about beating colds and flu naturally? Would you like to decrease your allergic reactions, protect yourself against degenerative diseases and generally increase your immunity? We can help us maintain your immune system in peak condition and keep you feeling great and free from illness. Start your ‘Immune Boost Plan’ now at: https://www.foodwise.life/program/immune-boost